Apr 6, 2009

Day 6 Part 2 - The Marshmallows

Don't let the title fool you, I didn't cave and go for a fluffy sticky treat (I'm sure my body would reject that as a way to break the fast in no uncertain terms - not worth risking it).

Marshmallows played a part in the start to my morning today. I can't ignore signs, and I think I got a pretty clear one this morning. I didn't know it when I woke up, but today turned out to be one of the tougher days so far. In the late afternoon/early evening, I really started feeling sluggish and discouraged. It was a weird dichotomy - I didn't want to keep fasting, and I didn't want to start eating. Both of those feelings were equally strong and I felt like the struggle in my brain lasted for a good while (couple hours at least).

Back to the marshmallows - this morning I decided to do a short walk/jog to jumpstart my heart rate for the day. As I was getting on my sneakers, I heard the beginning of an interesting story playing on NPR's Morning Edition health segment. It talked about an experiment done in the 1960's to test the will power of children from 4 years old and up. Some very interesting results that I'll let you wander over and discover on your own, but it was meant to explore the idea that will power may be something that some people are naturally born with and others are not.

Fast forward to my walk - I had some podcasts stored up in my mp3 player and I decided to get some brain food via one of my favorites - Radio Lab. The title of the episode I played first? "Mischel's Marshmallows"! Yep - same study, same topic, same LOUD message from the universe. Today was to be a day in which my will power and my resolve would be tested.

At least - that's the way I interpreted it :)

So it was tough today - actual hunger pains, thoughts of specific foods (that's a first since I started) and a nice rosy round ZIT on my forehead that could guide ships into harbor. But with all that, I still sit here committed, waiting to stick my tongue out at Day 6 tomorrow; interested to see what Day 7 will bring. For now, I'm sitting on the patio with my yarn and a new baby blanket pattern, with a lovely breeze that should lull me into sleepiness before too long.

(All show links will take you to the NPR sites where you can listen online to the programs)