Oct 24, 2007

May I Present: Baby Cables & Beads


It never fails. Any time I decide to stop hopping all aound in the WIP basket and just settle in to focus on one knit project, it actually gets done! (Shhhh...I'm having a revelation over here, resist the urge to giggle). I was really craving a finished project lately, and I had some extra motivation from Nicole & Jenny to get it done before the end of the month so I could get an entry in their October sock knitting contest. Well, I'm a believer - project monogamy works people...

Baby Cable Rib Socks 028
Yarn - Koigu KPPPM Color #400
Pattern - Baby Cable Rib Stitch from Sensational Knitted Socks
Needles - Knit Picks US 2 (2.75mm); Knit 2 at a time on 2 circulars
CO 9/9/07; Closed the toes on 10/24/07

I must state now that in the interest of blogging, I am doing these socks a severe disservice by putting them on my size (mumble mumble mumble) feet because they are not in fact for me. The are for one of the sweetest moms I know; a mom that did me the biggest favor by giving birth to this darling girl. If that's not worth a pair of handknit socks, well then I don't know what is!

Baby Cable Rib Socks 026 Baby Cable Rib Socks 027
I really wish I could take credit for this black background in the shots,
but it's just something my digicam decided to do! I dig it.

The most obvious modification is that I didn't continue the Baby Cable Rib Pattern down the foot. I realized right around the heel flap section that cables eat up alot of yarn (you don't say??!) and that I would surely run out of yarn before getting to the end of these. I made a good decision as it turns out because I finished with only enough yarn scraps to prove something had been made.

I'm now a committed member of the Koigu fan club. This yarn gave me no trouble at all, and I'm pretty confident that it will hold up well to wear.
I'm not the only crafty chick around here as you know. This weekend we took some inspiration from miss Sarah and made ourselves some beaded bracelets...

Crafty Chicks - Bracelets 009 Mizan & Adachi Oct 21 2007 Crafty Chicks - Bracelets 021
Never a dull moment with these two, and I don't mind that a bit.