May 1, 2007

Feels Good


Today I mailed off 17 skeins of yarn to Interim House, a treatment home for women in Philly. I've heard about this around the web for a while and I've had some yarn in my stash just begging to be sent off for this purpose (Yes, I did manage to leave the ickiest of the acrylics here with me, this is charity after all).


A little bit about the program from
their site:
Interim House is a comprehensive women’s substance abuse program that includes a six-month residential treatment program, an intensive outpatient program, and an on-going outpatient program. Founded in 1971 as the first women’s residential program in Pennsylvania, Interim has a proven track record of success. To qualify for participation in Interim House’s programs, clients must be women who are dependent on alcohol and/or other drugs or have a recent history of substance abuse, be 18 years of age or older, live in Philadelphia and have a low income. One of the many strengths of the program is their ability to hire qualified alumni of the program as staff members.

They have a photo-rich
blog that is worth checking out. I think it will inspire you to re-purpose some of your stash skeins too.

Please email the blog author Kathryn Duffy through her profile if you have questions about what they will accept, but from what I understand yarn, needles, crochet hooks, books, and notions are all welcome. She'll send you the address for shipping too.

I can certainly relate to this craft as therapy. My introduction to knitting and crochet and all the new found connections that have come with it are a gift. Pay it forward, right?