Feb 2, 2007

Knit Yourself Well

My youngest and I came down with Strep this week, and we've both had a time of it. I finally listened to some good advice and headed to the doctor. We got our meds in short order and the improvement is noticeable already.

Well let's face it, sick time doubles quite nicely as knit time. And what better way to introduce some warm and fuzzy feelings to an otherwise icky situation than to knit for someone else? Though I won't say who these are for specifically, those of you who follow the blog (including the recipient) will notice that (a) these are baby hats and (b)baby talk on this blog is very recent, so going just a few posts back will completely give it away. In the last 2 days I made 2 wee hats for this darling new princess, and here they are:

Baby Hats - Jan_Feb 2007



Just a little artsy rendition there...the hats are strategically placed on the Debbie Bliss Baby Knits book cover. Inside this book are the most adorable, yet completely doable baby items. I started small by making the seed stitch hat you see on the left in the photo, but there is much more to do in this book, and I'm grateful our local library carries it. The hat on the right is made with hand-dyed yarn from an artist named Jamie Harmon in upstate New York. In my stash busting efforts, I'm diving deep! This yarn was purchased in January of 2006 on one of my first New York City yarn crawls. I'm pretty certain I bought it at Downtown Yarns, but don't hold me to that.


Seed Stitch Hat with Pattern Photo

Baby Hat - Top View


Wool Angora Baby Hat - 020107


No pattern for the hand-dyed mini beret. I was actually inspired to just wing it by some email conversations about designing and modifying patterns to suit your taste. They are very different in size too; I wanted this little darling to have a hat for now and a hat for later.

Other than the
hoodie, I've also started these Garter Rib Socks from the pattern in Sensational Knitted Socks.


Sangria Sock Progress


I'm working these on size 2 (3mm) circulars, so the rows are slow to show up. This is portable though and the color (Cherry Blossom Fibers' Sangria) is delicious!

Have a wonderful weekend dear readers! Remember it's Black History Month - here's hoping you'll seek out, read, listen to or find something new to learn and love!