Apr 3, 2006

Some Finished Objects & Other Babbling

So...minus some crocheted picot edging, the Cotton Classic Jumper is now wearable! Naturally I didn't finish it in the insane 16-day marathon knitting triumph I had planned, but it's done, and I love the way Mizan looks in it. She kept asking me "when are you going to put it over my head mommy?"I have to say that, contrary to what I would have thought, the knitting went faster on this as I got closer to the end. Lots of stockinette stitching though, and honestly, I think I'm getting weary of cotton yarn, though it is mui kid and Florida friendly. I learned too that I will be more creative (and significantly braver) next time and ask more questions about manipulating patterns. It turns out I could have finished this much sooner and with much less seaming had I knit it in the round. Knit 'n learn my friends, knit 'n learn!



Here's a crocheted little ditty that I'm happy with (oooh...with which I am happy?...). Not because it was especially difficult, but because I didn't use any pattern to make it, and I finished it in less than an hour. I was the Game Leader at my sister's baby shower this past weekend, and so I stayed with her to help put everything together and keep her happy and hydrated (it's getting hot y'all!). I haven't picked up a crochet hook in quite some time, but the rhythm came back strong once I got started. I learned about crocheting in the round a while back, and now I know that you can pretty much make a hat (beenie, roll brim, or otherwise) very quickly this way. No fuss, no muss, no seaming. Love it.


In other knitting news (yes this is a fiber- heavy post, the queue was backed up).

I am making serious headway on Adachi's cardigan. I finally finished a ball of the lilac yarn and now I'm on a bright pink stripe. Again on this one, I'm doing something a little different than what the pattern calls for (oh dear, there's that preposition again). I'm a dangerously ambitious newbie - watch out there now! I saw in a post on my favorite knitting forum that someone suggested to skip the button holes on a child's cardigan and just sew buttons directly on the button band, then put snaps underneath them. In that way the wearer has the satisfaction of opening and closing the sweater all by themselves (and they love that!). I actually wish more of my own clothes just had snaps...but I digress.

All is well, and I'm traveling again this week. I'll be in Harrisburg, PA browsing new yarn stores...err --cough--meeting some potential clients that is. This is not a long flight, but even on the short ones I seem to have a very soothing effect on my airline seat neighbors, so the view to my right will most likely look something like this...


Blessings on ya - send me a shout out with some of your latest works, musings, and even works in progress that you just know you're going to get done very very soon. MWAH