Oct 12, 2005

Just Put 1 Foot in Front of the Other....

Seems so simple, don't it?? I've mentioned that I have a pretty long list of hobbies, and this year I'm trying to make running one of them. I have to think of it as a hobby you see because otherwise it feels like work, and I already have one job (my West Indian counterparts would be shamed). I was "benched" with shin splints for 6 weeks in August/Sept, and yesterday was my first day back out on the pavement on my own. What is it about time off from exercise that can make 3 miles feel JUST like 300? I love hearing about long-time runners who go out for 6, 10, 70 miles and thrive on the "Runner's High". Personally, I think it's drug-induced...and I wouldn't blame them. In all seriousness, I've grown to love it, and I whined like an infant when I was told to stop to save my legs any more damage. I've read it takes 2 weeks to break a habit and 8 weeks to form one - pretty daunting, but I'm banking on my own theory that it will take 4 weeks to "re-form" one. My former goal was to complete the Marathon of the Palm Beaches, but December 4th is a little too close on the calendar. Maybe I'll shoot for the Disney? Or got get some sun and do the Half Shell 13-miler on Key West (have they wrung out that island yet since Rita?). We'll see. For now, I'm on the road again....