Nov 3, 2009

The Hat

I started a hat for my friend today
Top down, in the round,
Navy blue
This yarn’s been in my stash for a while,
Just waiting to become something new.

I started a hat for my friend today
Just a quick travel project, nothing hard
I promised it to him some months ago
In lieu of a birthday card

I knit on this hat for my friend today
Every stitch helped in passing the time
I keep tugging the edges and fingering it
I think it will fit him just fine

So I’m knitting this hat for my friend today
Hoping it won’t be too wide
Then I get this short note from my friend today
It said, “Hey, my mother just died.”

So I’m knitting this hat for my friend today
Hoping now it will fit him quite snug
And that when he receives it, he’ll put it on
And feel that I’ve knit him a hug


Knitting: it's more than just a hobby.