Jan 1, 2008

May I Present: The Charcoal Ascot



Huckleberry Ascot FO 010

Pattern = Huckleberry Ascot from IK Gifts, Holiday 2007; page 36
Yarn = Valley Yarns Northampton in Dark Grey, 100% wool
Needles = KnitPicks Options Size 8 (5mm), 24 " cable

Modifications - I knit the short row increases on the wide end of the scarf until the center width was 6 1/4", and each wide end was 13"; this wasn't intentional at first, but I'm glad I added this extra because it made for a bit more ruffling, which this wool fabric could use since it's not naturally very drapey. If I remember right, this was done by just adding one additional set of of the short row increases on both ends.


Huckleberry Ascot FO 016

Instant sophistication, no?

I loved this pattern; just the kind of nearly mindless knitting I needed during holiday activities with the family. My first time with this many short rows - easy! With garter you don't have to pick up the wraps! My first time with bobbles - not nearly as annoying as I had anticipated, and they completely make this scarf something appealing to the eye.


Huckleberry Ascot- My 1st Bobbles

Bobbles; I do not hate them after all


Because I used wool, this doesn't have the same drape as the original, which was done in alpaca. I am confident that I would do one of these in alpaca as well though, just for the sheer simplicity of it. Hmmmm...gift idea?? I'm very happy with the wool I've use; the best compliment I can give it is to say that I would recommend it for many different types of projects. It's very warm of course, but not too scratchy. Maybe my dearest friend and I will wear our Northampton wool together sometime and be fiber twins :)
Happy New Year darlings!! Make this year one to remember!!