Jun 29, 2007

Finishing

That's the theme around these parts lately and I'm loving it! Don't tell my boss though, he might think it refers to the work projects I have in queue and we all know how that could affect my knitting productivity.


In August 2006, I met my knit buddy Cindy and she gave me this beautiful Sangria sock yarn that she had dyed herself. Now, this was at a time when I didn't even know that people had such talents with fiber, so I was especially grateful and really impressed. She has probably been looking forward to this FO about as much as I have, so I'm proud to present, my Sangria socks - finally a pair!



yarn: Sangria from Cherry Blossom Fibers
source: Cindy


pattern: Garter Ribs, a 4-stitch pattern from Sensational Knitted Socks


This pattern is a breeze. Just really a K2 P2 rib row followed by a straight knit row. But it makes the ribbing look just a little different, subtle, but cool. I also really liked the slight change up on the gussett for these. On both sides of the heel flap, you knit a 3-st garter border. I like to think this will work wonders for reinforcing that area. That Charlene Schurch knows some neat little tricks I tell ya!


Look ma! No pooling!



needles: Size 1 1/2 (2.5mm) dpsn and circulars - I used ALL the knit in the round techniques to get these done.

A bonus: Thanks to these socks, I met my goal for the June KAL over at stashalong. For those of you who haven't tried socks yet, let me join the chorus and say that there is NOTHING quite the same as a pair of handknit socks. I tried them on last night, and when I took them off, my feet missed them immediately. If you find just the right pattern, heel shaping and fit for you, you won't be sorry.

We're on vacation until Monday, so lots of knit time in the car. I believe my next adventure will be a winter pullover for one my girls to wear on a trip we have planned to Canada.

What's on your pointy sticks? Has the finishing fairy been to visit you too? If so, treat yourself to some swag by entering Amanda's Contest!